Medically Reviewed by: Dr. Caley Scott, ND
Many people claim that a hemp supplement truly changed their lives—in extreme, undeniable ways.
Sometimes the observed benefits are less intense, but just as meaningful.
For most, a hemp supplement is the difference between tossing and turning in the middle of the night and waking up peacefully before the morning alarm. It’s a feeling of being present, focused, and having a heightened sense of overall well-being.
And in some instances, the benefits go unnoticed.
Many people try a hemp supplement for a few days and experience no observable changes.
Why is this?
Here, we use basic hemp science to educate you on why your supplement might not be working yet—and what you can do to have a better chance at experiencing the effects of this powerful plant compound.
But first, it’s crucial to understand why hemp supplements produce these benefits for people in the first place.
Enter: the endocannabinoid system.
Discovered only 30 years ago, the ECS is the largest known system of receptors in mammals. According to the National Institutes of Health, this system plays a crucial role in regulating a broad range of physiological and cognitive processes, including mood, energy level, immune activity, metabolism, hunger, and stress—to name a few.
Essentially, ECS function is crucial to how we (and our pets) experience everyday life.
Cannabinoid found in hemp supplements, like CBD, CBG, CBN, and THC, interact with CB1 and CB2 receptors in the endocannabinoid system. These consistent cannabinoid-receptor interactions allow the ECS to reach homeostasis. Think of it as internal balance, or an all-encompassing wellness baseline for your body and mind.
Just as we all have unique physical, mental, and physiological attributes, all endocannabinoid systems are not the same—and they do not all respond to hemp in the same way. This means that in the long run, CBD offers slightly different benefits for everyone.
Another factor in how your hemp supplement is working for you is whether or not you’ve consumed hemp before. For example, someone who has never ingested hemp compounds may have a more immediate effect from taking their supplement, compared to someone whose ECS has interacted with CBD or THC before.
Regardless of your personal experience, there are 3 things to keep in mind when incorporating hemp into your wellness routine—wherever you are in your journey.
Hemp is not a one-time fix-all—it’s a lifestyle.
- Studies suggest that taking hemp extract as a daily routine, rather than as-needed, will give you a much greater chance of experiencing long-term benefits. We recommend taking your hemp supplement at the same time every day, as consistently as possible.
- A great spot for your hemp supplement to live is in your medicine cabinet, or in a more visual spot, like next to your coffee maker or toothbrush. Set a reminder and keep track of how you are feeling day to day.
Be patient and consistent with your regimen.
- For a baseline, it can take up to three weeks for your ECS to adjust to the new hemp supplement. Many variables come into play with the endocannabinoid system, such as age, body weight, and metabolism.
- If three weeks go by without noticeable benefits, talk to your local Sunmed wellness expert about increasing your daily milligram intake.
Pair up your daily hemp supplement.
- If you pair an additional hemp supplement with your existing routine, your body will likely adjust and reach receptor balance more quickly. This can be done by added another cannabinoid into your routine, such as CBN at night, or CBG in the morning. Different cannabinoids target different ECS receptors, and you might find that one cannabinoid works better for you than another.
- Incorporating different hemp delivery methods into your routine, such as creams, capsules, tinctures, and gummies, may also give you a more well-rounded wellness experience. There are a number of Sunmed products to work into your lifestyle, from fast-acting inhalables and water solubles to long-lasting oil tinctures and gummies.
But as for utilizing hemp’s fullest wellness potential, it's best to make it a part of your everyday life. And remember—we tend to notice discomfort more than we notice the relief of it.* Pay attention to your body and mind.
Developing a personal hemp routine is like any healthy habit; put in the work, and the wellness benefits will follow.